The LEAD Council of the Northern New York Community Foundation invites local students at tri-county schools and organized student groups in Jefferson, Lewis, and St. Lawrence counties to participate in a creative and impactful project to help reduce food insecurity across the North Country.
Canstruction for Northern New York is a group activity to encourage students to team up and construct a fun, themed structure made of donated canned food and other nonperishable food items or hygiene products to support a local food pantry or backpack program of your choice! Download a Canstruction flyer to share here.
Below are a few examples of canstruction projects. To enlarge, click on a single image in the gallery and then click the image again.
Why is this important?
- Excellent opportunity to support local residents with essential needs
- Instill philanthropic values in students who want to give back
- Build school spirit around a difference-making project
- Compete to win a grant award for another nonprofit you care about most.
What are the rules?
- Official guidelines are provided here.
- All projects must be submitted by Friday, April 21.
- Sample calendar for planning also included.
- Don’t forget to pick the local food pantry or backpack program receiving your donations!
Yes, there are awards!
Three $500 grant awards will be decided in the following categories:
- Top Collection Award (most items donated/collected)
- Best Design Award
- People’s Choice Award (Online vote)
Each winning team will then distribute its $500 grant award to a local nonprofit organization — federally classified 501(c)3 — serving Jefferson, Lewis, and St. Lawrence counties. Contact Max DelSignore, Community Foundation assistant director, at firstname.lastname@example.org for further guidelines on nonprofit selection. Good luck!